[KPhotoAlbum] Face detection and face recognition

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 07:32:55 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Tobias Leupold <tobias.leupold at web.de>
wrote:

> Hi List!
>
> Now that we can mark areas on an image and associate them with tags, we
> can go
> one nice step ahead. I added face detection and face recognition using
> Digikam's libkface.

Sounds pretty cool. I just watched a video demonstrating the marking of
areas in KPA, now I could watch a video demonstrating this as well :D

> Please have a look at:
>
>         https://github.com/l3u/kphotoalbum/tree/facemanagement
>
> This is quite a big patch. As there were changes and additions throughout
> the
> code, it was not really possible to split the changes in different
> independent
> patches. The current state is based on current git master as of the time of
> this writing. I'm pretty sure that all this is far from production quality,
> but it's usable. Of course, this is nothing for the upcoming release, as it
> has to be tested from end to end.

The 4.5 release is half way out. Sources are already in KDE mirrors, but we
are still lacking the notification and drumming.

> Please notice that you need the current git master of libkface (
> http://quickgit.kde.org/libkface.git -- version 3.2.0) for this to work,
> as I
> also had to add a new function to libkface's API to be able to implement
> some
> database maintenance.

You should test that libkface version is high enough. Since you require a
minimum version of the API, it is not enough to make sure that the library
exist. Otherwise I didn't spot anything peculiar with my 2 minute browse
through the code.

> When there's no appropriate version of libkface at build time, KPA should
> build as ever, simply leaving out the new functionality. When we have it, a
> "Search for faces on the current image" button is added to the annotation
> dialog's image preview, along with some additional context menu entries for
> the areas and a new settings page.
>
> Regarding face detection, it was no big deal to implement it and the
> results
> are quite okay. Face recognition is a bit more tricky, as we have to keep
> the
> recognition database in sync with KPA's database. The quality of the
> recognition was moderate to impressive -- depending on the image sets I
> used
> to test it (but it's the deal of the libkface guys to improve that ;-)

It is going to be interesting to test the face recognition with fish and
sea slug pictures I mainly shoot. I sure hope it will work well there.
Someone, please donate me 10 more hours per day :D

miika