[KPhotoAlbum] What does this mean?

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Feb 1 16:29:38 GMT 2014

On Sat, 1 Feb 2014 18:01:47 +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
> I am guessing that you shoot raw+jpg and KPA does not seem handle this
> situation properly when importing both on same go. Reading the error
> messages suggests that the logic is not really sound.

Yes, I do often shoot RAW+JEPG, and yes, I've had a lot of problems
with kpa over the years with this.  In particular, autostacking was a
real pain to set up correctly, and even with it set up, which image is
at the top of the stack is arbitrary (which means if I want to copy
out just the RAWs or just the JPEGs I have to commit some unnatural
acts -- and if I want the RAWs for frames that have them and JPEGs
otherwise, I have to do things that in some cultures would be
considered crimes against nature).

> I just did a quick test with just two images in Picture directory
> (PC100178.ORF and PC100178.jpg). And I get the same error message. I
> suppose this means that KPA cannot copy data from one new image to the
> second new image (as there is none available). It is also possible that raw
> and jpg are not even recognized as different versions of same image...
> Anyway, if you are importing raw+jpg you can just ignore this error message
> (or better yet, improve the logic of KPA in this situation ;)

For starters, I don't understand what "modifiedFileComponent" and
"originalFileComponent" really mean and what they do.  And I don't
know what data it's trying to "copy" from A to B.  But it *is*
apparent to me that if the ordering within originalFileComponent is
supposed to be meaningful, and it's trying to do some kind of copying
at the time the file is read, and if the order in which files are read
is arbitrary (as it would be when using readdir), that there would be
a sequencing problem.

> On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
>> I have the following file version settings:
>>
>> [FileVersionDetection]
>> autoStackNewFiles=true
>> copyFileComponent> copyFileReplacementComponent> detectModifiedFiles=true
>> modifiedFileComponent=([a-z]{3}_[0-9]{4})\\.(jpg|cr2|crw|tif)
>> originalFileComponent=\\1.cr2;\\1.crw;\\1.tif;\\1.jpg
>>
>> What do these messages mean?
>>
>> Original info not found by name for
>>  "/home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3622.jpg" , trying by MD5 sum.
>> Substitute image  "/home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3622.jpg"  found.
>> How did that happen? We couldn't find info for the original image
>> /home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3622.jpg; can't copy the original
>> data to /home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3622.cr2
>> Original info not found by name for
>>  "/home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3978.cr2" , trying by MD5 sum.
>> Substitute image  "/home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3978.cr2"  found.
>> How did that happen? We couldn't find info for the original image
>> /home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3978.cr2; can't copy the original
>> data to /home/rlk/images/7d2/dcim/100eos7d/img_3978.jpg

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congrats MIT Engineers 5 straight men's hoops tourney

--Eric Crampton