[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Johannes Zarl isilmendil at isilme.lupus.uberspace.de
Mon May 6 22:10:15 BST 2013

On Monday 06 May 2013 22:35:39 Johannes Zarl wrote:
> I didn't find anything yet in the strace.log, but I'll keep you posted.

Ah, just as I was done sending the other mail, I noticed something: There are
some file accesses to some path under "/mnt/server/...". Are your files lying
on an nfs share, by any chance?

I imagine that the thumbnail creation (hitting on a lot of files) may not play
along well with a high-latency storage. AFAIK the ImageManager cancels
thumbnail requests for low-priority thumbnails when others are more urgent. If
you add a high-latency storage into the mix and start scrolling/browsing your
images, most thumbnail requests are probably cancelled before they start.

Maybe the long time spent in futexes could also mean that KPA gets preempted a
lot because of NFS being too slow (for KPA's heavy access patterns). Is it
only KPA that becomes slow, or does it tear down the performance of other
desktop programs or the file manager?

  Johannes