[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Wed May 1 05:31:43 BST 2013

On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM, Manfred Usselmann <
usselmann.m at icg-online.de> wrote:

> **
>
> Hello,
>
> Am 30.04.2013 17:15, schrieb Miika Turkia:
>
>  Hello all,
>
> here is a quick summary of what I have found out.
>
> * libkdcraw is crashing on decoding some files. At least Sigma.x3f from
> Image-ExifTool-5.72 test files.
>   - This problem should be reported to digikam/libkdcraw (it is not only
> KPA but at least dngconverter crashes as well)
>
>  Whats the best place to report this issue?

That would be bugs.kde.org - create a new bug for product digikam,
component libkdcraw, attach also the Sigma.x3f file there.

> I usually keep raw files separately but some are still inside my images
> tree, so to be on the safe side I will clean them all out when I have some
> more time.

I like to keep my raws under the KPA picture directory (I actually shoot
only raws so there is nothing else). When I develop jpegs out of them, I
output them next to the raw and let KPA autostack them... But of course the
situation is quite different if the raws are not handled properly. (I think
the Sigma.x3f is corrupted and therefor not handled properly)

>    * There is an inconsistency in Category declaration and
> <member-groups> in Manfred's index.xml and this causes a crash. A quick fix
> is to change the first category at the beginning of the index.xml to
> Schlüsselbegriffe that is used at the end grpuings. Somehow the Category
> name got corrupted.
>   - Of course this should also be taken into account when parsing the
> input and handled in more user friendly way than crashing.
>
>  This index.xml is quite old. I have no idea how this mismatch happend. Schlüsselbegriffe
> (key terms) was there from the beginning and I never modified the file
> manually. The group definition at the end of the file uses
> "Schlüsselbegriffe" but everywhere else "Schl_.FFFFFFFCsselbegriffe" is
> used. I guess the program part which handles the groups ignores the logic
> for special characters used elsewhere.  The current version of KPA does not
> create a category 'Schlüsselbegriffe' by default. Instead it creates
> 'Ereignisse' (events).
>
> To be able to open index.xml I renamed everything to "Schlüsselbegriffe".
> When I closed KPA I was asked if I wanted to save it, I confirmed and guess
> what happend: It crashed again when I tried to reopen it. When I looked at
> the file with an editor I noticed that Schlüsselbegriffe was renamed back
> to <Category name="Schl_.FFFFFFFCsselbegriffe"> and the group definition
> was untouched <member-groups><member category="Schlüsselbegriffe" ...
>
> So there is indeed a bug with the current version and special characters
> in category names when groups are used.
>
> Then I tried it the other way around: Rename everything
> to "Schl_.FFFFFFFCsselbegriffe". But then I'm not able to open KPA, it
> crashes immediately. OK, until this is fixed I will avoid umlauts in
> category names.  For now I've renamed Schlüsselbegriffe to
> Schluesselbegriffe...

Johannes wrote in another mail (or bug description) about this bug. And he
went ahead and fixed it also on the development version. KPA did too much
of escaping of special characters..

>    * KPhotoAlbum is insanely searching for icon "file-broken" (png, svg
> and possibly some other versions of it). At least on my system this occurs
> and renders KPA useless. I did not find any package providing such an icon,
> but a quick hack to just create an empty file with such name gets KPA
> functioning properly (sudo touch
> /usr/share/icons/oxygen/8x8/emblems/file-broken.png). Of course I cannot
> test with Manfred's images, but at least the empty index.xml file loads.
>   - KPA should be fixed to handle the case when broken image icon is not
> found
>
>  For now I'm using the workaround to create file-broken.png, but it seems
> there is already a fix in the development version. Thanks...
>
> But something is still wrong even when /usr/share/icons/oxygen/8x8/emblems/file-broken.png
> exists, KPA is still very slow opening the detail view and switching
> between pictures and also going back to Home. Maybe it's looking for
> different icons besides file-broken.png? Or I need to use a different
> folder than the one mentioned above?

You could run strace to see what is so slow. Run the KPA from a terminal
with the command strace in front:
strace kphotoalbum

It will print out a lot of information about system calls that are called
and slows everything down somewhat. When you do action that takes too long,
see what is being written on the terminal. If there is e.g. plenty of
attempts to open some image file from different directories, that is
probably causing the slow down.

>    Manually fixing the index.xml and creating a file-broken.png - or
> finding a proper icon for it should hopefully get KPA working for Manfred.
> (Provided there are no more images that would cause a crash.)
>
> If someone is willing to look into fixing these problems in KPA feel free
> as I am not familiar with these parts of the code nor with the APIs used in
> them...
>
> miika
>

>  Thanks a lot for looking into this. Hopefully I will get KPA working
> again. :-)

Keeping fingers crossed

miika