[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Fri Jun 7 10:27:39 BST 2013

Hi Johannes,

two example durations: 8 seconds for 16 pictures, 6 seconds for 20
pictures the first time I open a folder, afterwards it's fast.

But my issue with KPA is not the thumbnail generation (I believe), it
becomes very slow when the window with the thumbnails is ready and I try
to open a detail view or scroll to another picture in the detail view
e.g. with PgDn/PgUp.

Regards,
Manfred

Am 06.06.2013 17:55, schrieb Johannes Zarl:

> Hi Manfred,
>
> Just out of curiosity: How well does the thumbnail view of gwenview perform on
> your CIFS share?
>
> Regards,
> Johannes
>
> On Thursday 30 May 2013 01:37:04 Manfred Usselmann wrote:
> Hi Johannes, the performance issue is not solved, it's still terrible. Maybe even worse than before. Even if I select a folder with just a few relatively small images, KPA is unusable. The image collected is stored on a CIFS (Samba/Windows) share on a local server with a fast connection (1 Gb/s). I'm afraid I no longer have the old thumbnail database, sorry. Regards, Manfred Am 30.05.2013 00:44, schrieb Johannes Zarl: Hi Manfred, On Wednesday 29 May 2013 23:20:08 Manfred Usselmann wrote: I was not aware that the performance issue should already be solved. That would be great, I will test git master and let you know. At the moment I'm not totally convinced that it is fully solved, but we've removed at least some of the problems. Building the thumbnails for all images over an NFS mount is going to take a while, anyways. During thumbnail construction the GUI is still sluggish, but in contrast to before the program does react to input. Btw. you don't happen to have your old thu
 mbnail
database lying around somewhere, do you? I was thinking that it should be doable to write a converter. It's not of much use to me because I already have rebuilt the database, but I guess there will be plenty of people with big databases on slow media that have not upgraded yet. Everything else should be fixed, thanks! Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback! Cheers, Johannes Regards, Manfred Am 29.05.2013 21:51, schrieb Johannes Zarl: Hello Manfred, I guess I lost track of the exact state of affairs for you. I'll try to summarize, but could you please correct me where I'm wrong? - index.xml bug: fixed - crash with raw images: fixed in libkdcraw - unresponsiveness of the GUI: I guess this should be better now (Jan Kundrát found/fixed the likely culprit). Can you test this fix (in git master) sometime? Did I miss something? Cheers, Johannes On Wednesday 24 April 2013 21:50:32 Manfred Usselmann wrote: I have about 30000 images and with an earlier version of kphotoalbum I could us
 e the
application but 4.4 crashes every time after a while during the generation of the preview images. Last time it happened when 26% was done. Regards, Manfred