[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 16:15:18 BST 2013

Hello all,

here is a quick summary of what I have found out.

* libkdcraw is crashing on decoding some files. At least Sigma.x3f from
Image-ExifTool-5.72 test files.
  - This problem should be reported to digikam/libkdcraw (it is not only
KPA but at least dngconverter crashes as well)

* There is an inconsistency in Category declaration and <member-groups> in
Manfred's index.xml and this causes a crash. A quick fix is to change the
first category at the beginning of the index.xml to Schlüsselbegriffe that
is used at the end grpuings. Somehow the Category name got corrupted.
  - Of course this should also be taken into account when parsing the input
and handled in more user friendly way than crashing.

* KPhotoAlbum is insanely searching for icon "file-broken" (png, svg and
possibly some other versions of it). At least on my system this occurs and
renders KPA useless. I did not find any package providing such an icon, but
a quick hack to just create an empty file with such name gets KPA
functioning properly (sudo touch
/usr/share/icons/oxygen/8x8/emblems/file-broken.png). Of course I cannot
test with Manfred's images, but at least the empty index.xml file loads.
  - KPA should be fixed to handle the case when broken image icon is not
found

Manually fixing the index.xml and creating a file-broken.png - or finding a
proper icon for it should hopefully get KPA working for Manfred. (Provided
there are no more images that would cause a crash.)

If someone is willing to look into fixing these problems in KPA feel free
as I am not familiar with these parts of the code nor with the APIs used in
them...

miika