[KPhotoAlbum] View Picture in Context

josephj at main.nc.us josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Sep 9 04:31:11 BST 2012

Thanks.  Replies inline.

Joe

> On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 7:55 AM,  <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
>> Hi.  I'm using KPhotoAlbum 4.2 on kubuntu oneiric.  The features of this
>> release are really nice.  I can see a bunch of improvements from the
>> prior
>> release.
>>
>> I need a workflow hint.
>>
>> I'm tagging a large number of photos (in a selected subset of all my
>> photos - the latest set of folders I've created) and need to stop (close
>> KPhotoAlbum) in the middle to do something else.  I need an easy way to
>> get back to where I left off.
>
> If the Untagged is configured, all new images are marked with this
> special keyword upon import. When you tag an image, if you hit Done,
> the Untagged is automatically removed. If you confirm with Continue
> Later the untagged remains. Working this way, you should find the
> images needing work easily with the Untagged selection in main view.

That will work a lot better than what I am currently doing once I train
myself to start using Continue Later, but what I really want is one or
more bookmarks that I can get back to easily.

> Another option could be to use a tmp category that you use to mark
> images with a word describing whatever you intend. (I find the Tokens
> confusing as I do not remember what each letter meant, thus I use the
> temporary category method.)

I usually use only one or two tokens at a time precisely for that reason,
but, functionally (for this purpose), a token or a bookmark tag is the
same thing.  I can set either one, but I can't directly get back to it in
the current/desired context.

This is slightly different than using untagged.  With untagged you get
back to the first untagged item in the subset, but with a bookmark, you
can get back to anywhere in the subset.  I don't always tag from the
beginning straight through.  I might start somewhere in the middle and
want to get back there.

Or, I might just want to have a normal bookmark to get back to a context
that is arbitrarily defined - like wanting to show someone one or more
sets of pictures and needing to be able to quickly navigate to them (where
these pictures would not necessarily have a common set of tags to identify
them) - i.e. a bookmark is just a bookmark, it doesn't imply anything
except a position in a sequence.  It can "mean" whatever I want it to mean
(in my mind - not in the program).

I'm sure I remember using a find image in context feature in the previous
release of KPA.

Joe