[KPhotoAlbum] troubleshooting mplayerthumbs?

Timothee Groleau kde at timotheegroleau.com
Wed Jul 25 14:22:47 BST 2012

Hi Johannes, thanks for your reply!

I have fixed my problem by using the source from git instead of the
kphotoalbum ebuild provided by gentoo. Just for completeness, I'll still add
the clarifications you requested below, in case other people have the same
issue.

I'm having other issues with this latest git snapshot btw (crashes when a
video thumbnail plays through video), but I should make a separate thread for
that.

Anyway, thanks again!
Tim

On Monday 23 July 2012 20:09:07 Johannes Zarl wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Can you provide a little bit more detail on what exactly is working/not-
> working? I.e. is KPA just sitting idle, not doing anything when new videos
> are added, or is it doing some work and just the end result is not
> displayed?

It seems it was doing some work but result was not displayed. All new detected
videos would show the default icon instead of a correct extracted thumbnail. I
could also right-click on a video and select "recreate selected thumbnails", I
could see a flicker in the ui, but the same default would show up. If I did
that the same "recreate thumbnail" process on the video which *did* have a
proper thumbnail, they too would end up having the default thumbnail.

> Regarding mplayerthumbs/kffmpegthumbnailer: Currently KPA directly invokes
> mplayer to get thumbnails. To get a vague idea of what could be the problem,
> you could try invoking mplayer manually:
>
> mplayer -nosound -ss 10 -vf screenshot -frames 1 -vo png:z=9 SOME_VIDEO.EXT

That command works fine on my videos, it generates a file 00000001.png which
is a proper grab from the video.

> Codewise, the thumbnailing is done inside the ImageManager. AFAIK you'll
> want to take a look at the classes VideoThumbnailsExtractor and
> ExtractOneVideoFrame.

Many thanks for the information!