[KPhotoAlbum] troubleshooting mplayerthumbs?

Timothee Groleau kde at timotheegroleau.com
Mon Jul 23 16:55:56 BST 2012

Hi there,

video thumbnailing with mplayerthumbs has not been working for me for some
time in kphotoalbum. I've deferrered fixing it, and I don't remember when or
how it broke (I'm gonna guess an upgrade to either konqueror or kphotoalbum).

I've decided I must finally fix it, but I'm not able to see any errors message
anywhere. How should I go about troubleshooting?

Below are some info about my system,

gentoo amd64
kphotoalbum 4.2 on kde 4.8.3
mplayerthumbs-4.8.3 (with mplayer backend; because thumbnailing in konqueror
doesn't work with phonon backend)
mplayer-1.0_rc4_p20110322-r1

For reference, video thumbnailing works in konqueror, with setting enabled
"Video Files (MPlayerThumbs)", and video playback works in kphotoalbum. video
thumbnailing used to work in kphotoalbum, and the old thumbnails are still ok.
I've tried installing kffmpegthumbnailer instead, and I've managed to set that
up in konqueror, but had no success with kphotoalbum either.

In case it matters, I've re-emerged mplayerthumbs and then kphotoalbum again,
to make sure it'd be compiled after, still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated. Please let me know what other information
or details about my setup I should send.

Thanks in advance!
Tim.