[KPhotoAlbum] Raw workflow

Robert Krawitz rlk at speakeasy.net
Tue Aug 28 18:52:42 BST 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 20:22:18 +0300, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>>> True. A current workaround is to search for RAW only. The disadvantage
>>> is that the whole stack is not available in this case and thus you
>>> cannot annotate the full stack. For me the developed JPG on top is
>>> ideal and still gives me access to the RAW easily with the
>>> open-raw.pl.
>>
>> There are a lot of different possible workflows.  The key is to not have
>> artificial restrictions on what people can do.
>>
>> One other thing that would be useful would be to allow selecting images
>> from a stack based on file extension, regexp, what have you.  So I could
>> select all RAW images matching a keyword, all JPEGs, what have you.
>
> The Label based search is too restrictive to my liking also. Even
> including the file suffix there would mostly solve my need, but a true
> regexp would be even better.

But be more confusing to people not familiar with regular expressions.
I'm OK with regexps for now; kpa users are pretty advanced.

But what I really meant was that a common workflow might be to select
all images with a given label, and then export or whatever the RAW (or
JPEG) image from each stack.

>>> I hadn't seen a case like yours so I thought matching the suffix to be
>>> sufficient. More examples and clearer explanation is definitely
>>> needed. Basically we are talking about normal regexp like
>>> s/\.raw/.jpg/ but instead of writing multiple regexes the latter part
>>> can expanded automatically.
>>> s/\.raw/.jpg/ and s/.\raw/.tif/ can be compressed into s/\.raw/.jpg;.tif/.
>>>
>>> Of course everything becomes quite messy when you take the different
>>> versions and sources into account and need to match suffix and prefix.
>>
>> I suggest that rather than a semicolon to separate components (a
>> semicolon could be a significant character) that it use some kind of
>> list entry, with the possibility of moving things up and down the list.
>>
>>> BTW did you get your problem solved?
>>
>> If autostacking doesn't work, I can't fix it.
>
> Autostacking works when you have images on KPA database and search for
> new images. I thought you had that case since you have the JPGs
> already in but had the ignore RAW ticked. It does not work in case you
> import two new images simultaneously that should be autostacked.

I see.

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton