[KPhotoAlbum] Raw workflow

Robert Krawitz rlk at speakeasy.net
Mon Aug 27 12:58:25 BST 2012

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 07:48:22 +0300, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 26, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at speakeasy.net> wrote:
>> The kpa manual states:
>>
>> "A few settings are recommended for a RAW workflow. First is to enable
>> the using of the embedded thumbnail. This will give a tremendous speed
>> boost over decoding each raw file each time they are viewed (check also
>> the minimum dimension configuration to ensure decent quality). Second
>> one is for the New Image Finder to automatically stack the developed
>> versions over the RAW file (developed image must be on same directory as
>> the original). This requires regular expressions as described in ."
>>
>> The last is obviously a reference to the new image finder settings, but
>> it doesn't explain clearly what the search regexp and file replacement
>> texts should be.  This would benefit greatly from an example (I haven't
>> figured out what they need to be myself!").
>
> The reference points to chapter "New Image Finder Settings" where the
> regular expressions I used at the time of writing are shown. Is the
> link missing from your manual? It is working on HTML and PDF version
> from docs.kde.org. Anyway, what I currently have is:
>
> Search: (_(v){0,1}([0-9]){1,2}){0,1}\.(jpg|JPG|tif|TIF|png|PNG)
> Orig: .NEF;.CR2;.JPG;.jpg;.ORF

The link is missing from the git as of the past few days.

>> That example might read:
>>
>> "For example, if you are shooting in RAW+JPEG mode, your camera may
>> generate two files, the RAW file and the JPEG file.  For purposes of
>> example, assume that the two files are named img_0005.cr2 (in general,
>> img_nnnn.cr2) and img_0005.jpg (in general, img_nnnn.jpg).  Assuming
>> that you want the RAW file to be at the top of the stack, you would
>> enter the following in the [File versions search regexp]: [] and the
>> following in the [Original file replacement text]."
>
> I have not used RAW+JPEG as my cameras embed a full size JPG as a
> thumbnail in the RAW image. So I do not see any point in this mode.

Mine doesn't.  I think the .cr2 format may include a small thumbnail,
but not full size/quality.

> The trouble for you to figuring out the regular expressions for
> autostacking might be due to broken functionality. I just tested out
> finding the raw and jpg files at the same time and the autostacking
> did not work. My sample search regex needs the RAW formats added for
> this to work but as said the simultaneously finding the files is
> broken. At least it did not crash anymore as was the case a week ago.

Currently all of the JPEG files are in the database, and I've set the
option to not look for RAW files.  What I want to do is (finally) load
all the RAW files in.

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton