[KPhotoAlbum] Mass editing/checking tags

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Mon Nov 21 11:30:17 GMT 2011

Just something to think about:

I haven't read through the list in awhile, but I believe that the tag
database is just that - probably some flavor of sql.

Is there any way (preferably without much programming) to talk directly
to the database and do data cleaning, etc.?

What I have in mind currently:  I have a large number of animal
pictures.  I would like to automagically ensure that all pictures tagged
as "faun" are also tagged as "deer" and "animal".  Similarly, all "home"
locations are also tagged as "Buffalo" (as in NY ;)     ).

It would be really cool if I could just build an end-user level table of
rules and apply it automatically.  Things like If "faun", then "deer".
If "deer", then "animal" and If "home" and (non-null location) Not
"Buffalo" then "needs editing".  The last one adds a lot of complexity,
but it points out the idea of dependent tags and the possibility of
mutually exclusive tags.

I have a lot of photos (around 24k so far) in KPA and I'm developing my
tagging criteria as I go.  This makes it almost certain that my tags are
incomplete and inconsistent - and that's what databases are perfect for
addressing.

This is more of a design direction request.  Making it easy to use would
take a lot of thought and probably a lot of code.

Joe