[KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails and Images not always correct in Version 4.1.1

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 15 03:19:47 GMT 2011

Thanks for the replies. The thumbnails are now correct, after restarting KPA several times. I have a bit better understanding now.

--- On Mon, 3/14/11, Andreas Neustifter <andreas.neustifter at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Andreas Neustifter <andreas.neustifter at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails and Images not always correct in Version 4.1.1
To: "Murray Strome" <wmstrome at yahoo.com>
Cc: "KPhotoAlbum List" <kphotoalbum at kdab.net>
Received: Monday, March 14, 2011, 2:48 PM

Hi Murray!

(I'm writing this from the top of my head, please someone correct me
if necessary...)

The handling of thumbnails is as follows: when an image is first added
to KPA a thumbnail is created, this is indexed by the path (or MD5
sum?) of the image, the orientation of the image is baked into the

When you move images or delete and read them the thumbnail is for
this image is still in the cache and will be used subsequently.

To get proper thumbnails you first have to get proper orientation for
the images: When images are first read into KPA the orientation is
read. If you rotate them inplace you have to reread this information,
you can do this by selecting the images and using the "Reread EXIF
information" (or however its called). In the poping up dialog ensure
that the "Read orientation" checkbox is marked.

To get the proper thumbs you have to rebuild them all, unfortunately
there is currently no way to recreate only some of them. To recreate
select the "Rebuild Thumbnails" form somewhere in the menu.

Doing "Rebuild Thumbnails" did not really fix the problem. I had also deleted the thumbnails from $HOME/.thumbnails/kphotoalbum, which did not change anything.

I have since edited a bunch of photos both before opening KPA and by invoking GIMP from KPA, and I did not see this problem for any of those photos. It must have been just some strange combination of operations. Anyway, everything now looks fine, though I really don't quite understand what I did to get there. I think I now appreciate how these are handled, and if I see this again, I won't worry about it too much.

Usually the workflow for people using KPA is to create copies of the
pictures that are edited so that the original is always preserved. KPA
can then stack those images on top of each other so that they appear as
one unit in KPA. 

I had not heard of this feature before, so I tried to figure out how to do it.  I could not find any directions anywhere, and have been unable to really figure it out.  I think I should ask questions about this in a new post.

(Its strongly recommended by everyone to never touch
the  originals and always edit copies, see also [1]).

Hope that helps and explains your issues. Please come back to the list
with any questions you have.

Cheers, Andi

[1] http://www.dpbestflow.org/links/38

Thanks for this great link.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/kphotoalbum/attachments/20110314/020f4d94/attachment.htm>

More information about the Kphotoalbum mailing list