[KPhotoAlbum] Option to remove histogram.

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Sat Jun 18 09:36:13 BST 2011

First of all, great to see you contribute, do not get it on your nerves that I
have a few change requests. If you disagree, just tell me and I'll take your
patches as they are.

This patch has two problems in my eyes:
1) When you change the checkbox in the config dialog, you need to restart the
app for it to take effect. This is troublesome for new users who do not know
exactly what it does, and only plays with it. All of a sudden the database is
gone next time they start KPA.

2) The code has a lot of if (_datebar) { ... }
This is brittle, and eventually someone will make a change where they forgot
to check this, and that person will have the datebar, so it doesn't result in
a crash before someone tries out a released version with this code.

Fortunately there is a simple solution to both problems. Why not just hide()
the datebar. Sure that means that a non visible datebar is updated all the
time, and if that turns out to be a slowdown, then simply check that in the
relevant painting code.

You would of course need to show/hide as soon as the user hits OK or apply in
the config dialog.

How does that sound?

On Sunday 05 June 2011 00:32:06 Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since I do not use the histogram the screen real estate that it
> occupies is wasted for me.
>
> I propose an option to simply remove (not show) the histogram:
> https://github.com/astifter/kphotoalbum-fork/commit/45cb4aebb8c2a6a36ac8294
> f05b6dc0f2edeeee4
>
> Cheers, Andi

thousands of images?