[KPhotoAlbum] Patch to ignore symlinks when reading files

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 14:31:58 GMT 2011

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:26:01 +0200, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
> I'm not saying that one of you is right or wrong but to me this looks like
> another bump on the various ways people figure out to manage working with
> multiple copies of same file / RAW files / panorama files / ... KPA supports
> ignoring RAW files if they're named correctly, and supports regexps. I'm not
> using either as they don't suit me so I end up having multiple copies of
> same files in my directory tree (as I don't like to have my processed photos
> in the same dir with the original and blah blah).
>
> It'd be great if workflows for RAW processing, panoramas, (what else?) etc
> etc would be fully thinked through so that KPA would provide the user a
> simple, unified workflow regarding archiving photos, instead of making
> people write their own hacks and sending patches to make KPA suit their
> needs.

I can't argue here.  "Ignore symlinks" *is* a hack that I did to solve
my personal issue.  If the kind of review you're talking about were
done it might very well result in the ability to ignore symlinks, but
I agree with you about the general issue.

> (Yes, KPA is a great tool to tag but relating to issues like these doesn't
> work that well in my eyes)

Do you have any examples of tools that do this well?