[KPhotoAlbum] Patch for Viewer Settings

jedd jedd at progsoc.org
Sat Feb 20 15:15:43 GMT 2010

On Friday 19 February 2010 16:23:54 Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> On 02/18/2010 10:39 PM, jedd wrote:
> >   I can't but help think that git would not only solve these
> >   kinds of small problems, but also probably speed up the
> >   rate of advance of the whole of KDE4 (two years and it's
> >   still buggy as all get out!).  Oh well.  Smarter people than
> >   me still haven't worked out how to migrate to it.
>
> How do you think that git could be a solution for that? I don't think
> switching the version control leads to a thriving developer community
> per se.

 The twee answer is 'show me the svnhub site' - but it actually has
 some substance to it.  For whatever reason, git seems to have
 generated a fair bit of passion around it.  Either the publicity
 before & around its arrival, the fame of the first author - who
 knows.  The popularity of github has been a curious thing, and
 the obvious question there is how much is down to the nature
 of the tech itself.

 If you go and watch the talk Linus gave to the Googlers some years
 ago (it's easy to find on youtube - about an hour long) you get some
 good insights into .. well, quite a few things I think.  There was
 a Big Thread or two, on various lists, involving Linus and some
 of the wearers of Big Pants in the KDE world around the same time,
 so obviously *some* people thought there would be *some* value
 in shifting away from svn and to, if not git, then at least a properly
 distributed VCS.  It's possible, but unlikely, that the things that
 made the prospect interesting a few years ago don't apply any
 longer - but I suspect that they actually apply even more.

 From a technical POV it's hard to argue that branching and merging
 aren't significantly more pleasant activities in git than they are in
 svn.

 You're absolutely right, though - it's not something you'd swing the
 whole project (KDE) across to in one mega-repo, and I don't think
 anyone has ever considered that as a realistic option.

 FWIW I grab CodeIgniter updates - which they release via svn on
 their site - via the mirror someone maintains at github - it just
 feels more comfortable. :)

 J.