[KPhotoAlbum] Smooth scrolling

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Wed Dec 29 21:09:48 GMT 2010

Greetings,

First of all, thanks for supplying patches, I truly appreciate it.

The patch is rather complicated in a rather complex part of KPA. I'm afraid
that applying this patch might just result in lot of headache down the road
when maintaining this class.

I see two solutions I'd like you to consider:

1) scroll half an image row at a time. If this is possible, but it ought to
be: You can figure out the height of a row and the scroll this distance.

2) If the above fails, then please move the code into a separate class of
which only one instance is created (namely the one from ThumbnailWidget). This
class would encaptiual all the logic of the scrolling.

On Sunday 12 December 2010 21:17:07 Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> On 4 December 2010 13:07, Andreas Neustifter
>
> <andreas.neustifter at gmail.com> wrote:
> > with my selfcompiled (Ubuntu 10.10) KPA the Thumbnail View scrolls one
> > page at a time with the mouses scroll wheel. I'm not sure if that's
> > due to my setup or if that is the case on any mouse/window
> > manager/os/kpa combination but for me this makes it really hard to
> > look for images since I loose the context to quickly.
> >
> > I have written a small patch that drafts a smooth scrolling behaviour.
> > It not simply scrolls slower but keeps an backlog of the speed with
> > which the user scrolled. This backlog is used to determine the average
> > scrolling speed. Additionally the speed is scaled non linearly to have
> > slow scrolling when moving the wheel slowly but scrolling really fast
> > when the wheel is rolled fast for a longer period of time.
> >
> > Ah, whom am I kidding, this is hard to explain, please try it! I would
> > really appreciate the feedback on that matter.
>
> I revised this patch, please have a look!
>
> Andi

thousands of images?