[KPhotoAlbum] handling duplicate images

Markus Grabner grabner at icg.tugraz.at
Fri Aug 6 13:18:02 BST 2010

Risto H. Kurppa wrote:

> Hi Markus!
>
> I'm running KPA with 50 000 images. The size of the database grows
> huge, but it works OK -and I'm expecting Jesper's recent innovation
> with faster thumbnailing to land to KPhotoAlbum (see
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4295 ) - and also SQL backend has
> been worked on for a while, then the effect of number of images should
> again be smaller.
>
> Duplicates.. I don't think the current KPA knows how to do this, but
> to me it looks like a smart and useful feature.. You might want to
> file a wish to KDE bugtracker (
> https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=kphotoalbum&format=guided )
> and let's see if one of the devels at some stage start working on it..
>
> The duplicate plugin is part of KIPI plugins and AFAIK, it should
> still exist, if installed to your system. But generally all duplicate
> finders have been quite bad. Slow, not showing well where the images
> are and let me choose which one to remove and so on - maybe they've
> improved lately..
>
> Let us know how KPA works for you!
Proper handling of duplicates is a knockout criterion for me, because I'm
not going to start tagging my images as long as each of them appears in the
thumbnail view several times. Let me think about this for a while and
eventually file a wish to the bugtracker.

	Thanks & kind regards,
		Markus

--
Markus Grabner
Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision