[KPhotoAlbum] handling duplicate images

Markus Grabner grabner at icg.tugraz.at
Mon Aug 2 22:54:02 BST 2010

		Hi all!

    I was looking for an application to manage a large set of images
(~100000), and KPhotoAlbum looks promising since it doesn't modify any
existing image files, but stores all its data in a separate file. However,
over the years I arranged the images in several directories with numerous
duplicates according to different grouping criteria (which are actually
symlinks and don't consume significant disc space). When I import the top
level image directory into KPhotoAlbum, all these duplicates appear as
multiple instances of the same image in the thumbnail view.

It has been suggested to use a "Find duplicated images" plugin (which I
couldn't locate - did it only exist for KimDaBa?), run a script on the
"index.xml" file to find entries with identical MD5 sum, or use "fdupes" on
the file system, and to remove unused duplicate instances. However, I want to
keep my original data (including the directory layout with the "duplicates",
i.e., symlinks), but still have KPhotoAlbum display only one instance of any
image, even if it is found at multiple locations within the image directory.
Can this be done in the current version of KPhotoAlbum?

	Thanks & kind regards,
		Markus

--
Markus Grabner
Institute for Computer Graphics and Vision