[KPhotoAlbum] Experiences with version 4 (Resolved)

Clair Johnston cbj0129 at bellsouth.net
Sat Jun 6 02:49:14 BST 2009

Clair Johnston wrote:

I think I have resolved the issues to my satisfaction. Most of the items
were my issues and I thank Jesper for his assistance.  I will interleave
what I found in my original post
> I like the improvements also, however I am experiencing some problems.
>
> System Conf:
> HP laptop running Ubuntu 9.04
> Running prebuilt Binary from website link
> 36,000 photos on a USB harddrive
> Only about 10% catagorized.
>
> First question:  I have a number of images that are displaying as "gray
> scale" rather than color.  Opening with an external program displays
> properly.  I assume that this has some specific meaning but have been
> unable to find the answer.
The problem is with the JPG image from the camera.  They open fine with
Faststone and Irfanview under Windows.  On Linux, Image Viewer and
F-Spot Photo Viewer will open them.  Gimp thinks it is a RAW file that
it doesn't know about.  gThumb Image Viewer will display the thumbnail,
but not the image.
My workaround is to open with Faststone and do a "save as" and
recompress the image. I haven't found a Linux editor that will open and
recompress to correct whatever Gimp and KPA doesn't like.

> Second question:  I just added about 300 images from a photo shoot on
> Saturday.  In the thumbnail view there are two thumbnails for each
> image.  Clicking on the first one highlights the second one.  Both
> thumbnails reference the same image.  There is only one image on the
> harddive. I am not shooting RAW, only JPG.
This one is harder do define as my problem, but I have found a way
around the problem.  Here is how I recreated the problem.
-Restored to a previous index.xml without the photo session in question.
-KPA auto scanned for new images, everything fine
-Closed KPA without saving.  (it didn't ask)
-Restarted KPA, the thumbnails of the new images were not present
-KPA did not autoscan, so I told it to rescan.
-Problem reproduced - 2 thumbnails for each image..
This may be a problem within KPA.  I think it should have ask if I
wanted to save.
> I tried to regenerate the thumbnails.  The progress bar ran to 99% and
> hung for about 20 minutes, before I accidentally closed KPhotoAlbum
This problem was caused by insufficient space for ~/.thumbnails  I keep
my photos on a portable harddrive which I move between various
computers.  Linux is not the primary operating system on my laptop so
its partition is relatively small and free space is limited.
This is solved by a symbolic link to the harddrive.  An additional
advantage is that the thumbnails move with the photos and don't need tbe
recreated.

Now I can get back to categorizing my 36000 photos.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions,
Clair