[KPhotoAlbum] EXIF search now working; "Recreate EXIF Search database" seems to be broken, was: New shapshot

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Fri Jul 24 20:12:04 BST 2009

Jan Kundrát schrieb:
> Martin Jost wrote:
>
>> And it seems the EXIF-DB still isn't working here.
>> E.g. if I look at the "Camera"-Tab in the search dialog, >I only see one
>> camera here - mine. But I have photos from friends of mine and I think I
>> remember seeing other models here with KPA 3.x
>>

> I'd remove the exif-info.db file and let KPA rescan all images for EXIF
> info.
>
> Cheers,
> -jkt

Hello Jan,

yes that did the trick.

But there seems to be an amazing discrepancy between functions here:
- If I use "Maintenance/Recreate EXIF Search database" it doesn't work.
  - Only one camera in the DB.
  - No matching photos on search, no matter what I try.
    (E.g. only mark the only camera model visible)

- If I use "Maintenance/Read EXIF info from files", it simply works
  - A plausible looking range of cameras
  - Different search all get plausible looking results

My impression has been, that "Recreate EXIF Search database" is the more
"drastic" way to recreate the database, but this doesn't work.
Maybe "Recreate EXIF Search database" should just be implemented as
- Delete DB file
- Do a "Read EXIF info from files" on all photos
?

Thanks for pointing me to the right thing. Now one of the really nice
KPA features is working again.
(I depend on it to pick out all photos with manual exposure programm;
these are usually the parts of an panorama to stitch)

Regards

Martin