[KPhotoAlbum] GPS support in KPhotoAlbum

Mark Eichin eichin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:37:17 BST 2009

http://code.google.com/apis/maps/faq.html#tos_nonweb
appears to say that you *can* use it in a "free to download" non-web
app, with restrictions:

Can I use Google Maps in my non-Web application?
    Yes, the Google Maps APIs can now be used in Desktop applications,
provided that they adhere to the other restrictions of the Terms of
Service. Note that in order for a desktop application to be deemed
"publicly accessible", there must be a publicly accessible webpage
from which it can be downloaded. See Section 7.1c of the Terms of
Service for more information.

7.1c is about preserving the branding, so that may be a
GPL-incompatible constraint.  (Note that google isn't pretending that
maps is any more than "free-as-in-beer" so there are probably other
license issues too...)

That said, wasn't there a maemo google-maps app? I don't know how they dealt...

_Mark_ <eichin at thok.org> <eichin at gmail.com>