[KPhotoAlbum] google maps.

Mark Eichin eichin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 22:29:17 BST 2009

> | (What I would love to see in geoKphotoalbum is "what flickr has" since
> | that's how I publish images, but right now I push them first and use
> | flickr's map "organizer" to put coordinates on things.  It would be
> | nice to do that locally...)
> I dont use flickr, could you elaborate on what it does.

Here's a recent example: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eichin/3738328604/

On the side, it says "Taken in Great Barrington, Massachusetts   (edit
| map)" (presumably you only get the map link.)  If it doesn't have a
geotag, I get an "add to your map" link.  "map" gets you a small popup
yahoo-map showing where the picture is; you could call this the
picture-centric view.  From there you can go to "see nearby pictures"
or "go to the map"; the latter gives a larger map with other pictures
(as dots, with popups for the pictures themselves.)

There's also a map-centric view called the "map organizer"; there you
get a map, and a film-strip of thumbnails across the bottom, and you
can drag-and-drop to add coordinates.

As far as the data goes, the pictures have lat/long and I think zoom
level (as a rough "precision" metric), the location name is generated
by geocoding (though I think you can tweak that too.)

My workflow is currently
  * upload pictures from kphotoalbum
  * if I only have locations for one or two of them, just go to the
picture page and hit "add to map" (where I give a best-guess city and
then slide the map around until it's in the right place)
  * if I have a lot of pictures, esp. taken near each other, I instead
go to map-organizer, pick the location (possibly by entering a city,
possibly by selecting a "saved location") and then drag the pictures
on to the map, singly or in groups.

Depending on the location, sometimes I use the street map, sometimes
the aerial photography (most of the time it is *not* satellite, that
just sounds cooler, and the technical term "overhead" hasn't caught
on.)  I don't use a GPS because mostly I know where I am - and I tag
where the *subject* of the picture is (with a decent zoom lens the GPS
can be wrong by hundreds of meters :-) and it's another thing to
carry...