[KPhotoAlbum] GPS support in KPhotoAlbum

Matthias Füssel matthias.fuessel at gmx.net
Wed Jul 22 15:26:54 BST 2009

Hello,

I'll try to structure my thoughts a bit. Here we go:

Geoposition Features I would like to see in KPA:

* select images by position: Just like you now narrow down the selection by
category, you should also be able to say "by position", draw a rectangle on a
map and select everything inside it.

* show map during slideshow: in a slideshow, while you are retelling something,
you should be able to blend in a map which shows the positions of the images of
the slide show, the current one highlighted, possibly with a route drawn between
them, the part of the route that is on the same day as the current image in some
way marked, ...

* for geotagging (manually or by importing a gps track) there is already a kipi
plugin that uses google map

Actually, I have a local version of a patch implementing the first feature using
Marble, that has some caveats, though: it currently doesn't work very well due
to what I *think* are bugs in Marble's handling of changes in the placemark
model (but I'm not a great C++ programmer, usually doing (and liking!) Java a
lot more). It uses an intermediate step of generating a kml string - there
should be a better way. It is a rather large change - I had a lot more than I
would have liked. It is againt trunk, not against the development branch. And
(finally) I can't access it for the next week or so, as my main computer has
broken down recently :-(

I'll try to port it to the development branch and post it to bugzilla soon, but
I will have only limited time to work on it in the nearer future

The way of implementing maps
----------------------------

The geotagging kipi plugin uses GoogleMap. It does so by using a widget that is
more or less a web browser. This does work (and you get GoogleMap!), but it
seems to be a bit "shaky": for some time it just crashed the calling application
without comment, because google had changed something in the delivered html in a
way the browser code obviously didn't understand. And it isn't very efficient -
it works just like GoogleMap in a browser

The KDE way is Marble. Marble can use different sources for the geographic data
to display, including OpenStreetMap (and so also OpenCycleMap, ...). It does
*not* support GoogleMap, as far as I know - probably due to licence restrictions.

For overview maps the "standard" data in marble is good. For detailed maps of a
limited area, OpenStreetMap is usually the best source in marble. Quality and
level of detail varies however: often good, sometimes excellent (considerably
better than GoogleMap), but in stranger parts of the world you sometimes don't
see very much. You can try yourself: http://www.openstreetmap.org/

Integration of Marble is fairly easy. There is (among other possibilities) a
QWidget ready to use. There are also some bugs, I think, and only limited
documentation. Much active development.

I would choose marble: it is already usable, much more flexible and I think it
will grow over time. (though you have to keep up with API changes sometimes...)

Greetings,
Matthias