[KPhotoAlbum] Couple of queries & suggestions

Eivind Kjorstad ekj at zet.no
Wed Jan 28 14:36:55 GMT 2009

2009/1/26 jedd <jedd at progsoc.org>:

>  For a given file, there's no way that the md5sum should change for
>  that file if there wasn't any change *inside* the file, right?  I think
>  I'm seeing some md5sum recalculations going on - which is hard on
>  the CPU, but the big problem is it blows my web front end out of
>  the water when md5sum's change.  I'm suspicious of my file
>  system (encfs - encrypted loopback-ish FS) and wonder if that's
>  causing problems, as it's been Weird with other things.  But just
>  to clarify, if the date stamp of a file or directory location of a file
>  changes, that shouldn't affect the md5sum, right?

No. That does definitely NOT affect the md5sum. But nevertheless,
you'll see md5sum recalculations when you change the path/filename of
one or more files. What happens is this:

Normally Kphotoalbum recognizes a file by filename. If it has a entry
for a certain file, it will use that, no md5sum calculations
nessecary.

If, however it hasn't, then there's two possibilities, either this is
a new file, or a file was renamed.

So, in this case, we calculate the md5sum of the file, and see if we
have an entry for a file with that md5sum. If we do, it means it's the
same file, but under a new name (i.e a rename), if we do not, we
assume it's a new, previously unseen, file.

So, renaming files *will* cause kphotoalbum to do md5sum
recalculations for the moved files. If you recalculate md5sums (from
the menu in kphotoalbum) and thereafter save, this problem should go
away. (until the next time you rename files, after which it reappears)

           Eivind