[KPhotoAlbum] Couple of queries & suggestions

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Jan 26 20:53:34 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:22 PM, jedd <jedd at progsoc.org> wrote:
>  Maintenance | Re-read meta data -- the dialog box that pops up
>  should remember the radio boxes that were set/clear the last
>  time.  I'm doing a lot of image manipulations on annotated images,
>  so often want to re-read EXIF date and orientation data .. but don't
>  want to overwrite descriptions etc.

Makes sense to me. File it in bugs.kde.org as wishlist

>  Main / front screen - Search - there should be a way of retaining
>  the last search, or last couple of searches, as it's cumbersome to
>  re-type a sequence of tags, especially if some are negated.

Right, this has been discussed earlier with no visible results, I
think. Check bugs.kde.org and file it there if not filed already.

>  When modifying tags for multiple images, there's no hint that you
>  may be about to overwrite the description field - if one or more of
>  those images has a description set.  Even if all the images have
>  the same description, it doesn't let you know.  Some grey-out
>  thing or just a notice saying some images have a description field
>  that's already populated?

Again, makes sense to me and I've lost some descriptions too (I
usually don't use it)

>  Alternatively . . .
>  Wondering about the feasibility / practicality of having multiple
>  description fields for each picture.  Probably the two - one that
>  is specific to that one picture, the other would be a group
>  description, unrelated to any particular tag that's attached.  The
>  grouping of photos in a 'set' often has disparate tags anyway,
>  and that's what gets changed when you do multi-image editing.

Becomes more diffucult but I'd think the SQL backend wouldn't have
much problems with this if the UI is able to follow.

>  Questions
>
>  XML file - is there something 'funky' about the way we record
>  data in there?  I'm using php's simple_xml_load() function to pull
>  the file in, and I'm losing line-breaks in the description fields.
>  I suspect it's PHP, but just want to check.

Just simple XML AFAIK, should be PHP-readable with no problems (check
the KPA web-frontends)

>  For a given file, there's no way that the md5sum should change for
>  that file if there wasn't any change *inside* the file, right?

right, AFAIK.

And some additions

1) please change the mail list settings so that the reply goes by
default to the list, not the original writer.
2) what's the status of KPA for KDE4? Now that KDE4.2 is (soon)
released more and more people are coming to KDE. I'd like to be able
to offer a nice KDE4 KPA for them instead of Digikam - and also I'd
like myself to use the great improvements you did in the summer..

Thanks!