[KPhotoAlbum] KPA import/export, first experiences

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Sun Jan 4 06:19:31 GMT 2009

Hi!

I've been using KPA for years but now I finally decided to try the
import/export feature.
I had my Christmas holiday photos on the laptop (tagged, this is the
reason I wanted to not only copy the photos but save the KPA tags too)
and wanted them on my desktop computer. I'm running KPA 3.1.1 on both,
I think.

Export is easy: select the images you want to export, check the box to
manually copy the images click OK and name the .kim file. Done.

Import:
I had these photos on two directories on the laptop:
photos/2008/2008-12-21-event1 and photos/2008/2008-12-30-event2
I copied all these files to a temp folder on the desktop with the .kim
file and ran the import tool.

It asks for the folder where to import. I gave my photo root because I
thought it'd remember the original file structure below the photo root
and create the /2008/2008-12... folders. Well it didn't. So after the
import I created manually the required folders, moved the imges there
and let KPA scan for new images. It didn't recognize the moved images
-> remove and redo as below

I also noticed that typing /home/user/photos/ (with the last
backslash) the paths KPA shows are /home/user/photos//filename.jpg -
but it works..

So I had to split my set in two pieces, one .kim for each subfolder I
had and import again. This time I forgot the 2008 from the target
folder and again KPA wasn't able to find the images after I had moved
them around manually -> remove and redo..

So the third time was succesful..

So I was able to import/export but it was a pain the first time - and
the next time I do it, I have to remember to create one .kim for each
folder (will be a pain if you want to move many folders to another
database...!) and give the proper folder names in the target folder
field (I think this is weird as the .kim xml anyway contains the
folder name in it)