[KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails for images not on the disk disappear

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 9 15:07:47 BST 2008

Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 10:16:24 +0200
From: Jan Kundr?t <jkt at gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [KPhotoAlbum] Thumbnails for images not on the disk
	disappear
To: kphotoalbum at kdab.net

Martin H?ller wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 Jan Kundr?t wrote:
>> Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
>>> To sum up, I don't think this is something that's managed
by KPA.
>> We do manage it ourselves (in fact, we don't delete any
thumbnails,
>> except when deleting original image files).
>
> Might this be the problem? Why do you delete thumbs?

Because we remove the original file.

> Other applications might eventually do them same.
---------
I don't quite understand this comment.  Does this mean that when I delete the original image from the disk (but not KPhotoAlbum), YOU delete the thumb?  If this is the case, that explains my problem.  I thought the thumbs should remain unless I delete the image from the Album (i.e. I guess that would mean the KPhotAlbum library).

In the kde4 branch, we've switched to a new way of thumbnail storage;
now we use another format, which is a bit more space hungry, but a lot
faster.

Cheers,
-jkt

I assume that you must start deleting thumbs from $HOME/.thumbs when the size exceeds the maximum cache size is exceeded. Is that correct? Do you have any recommendations for that size?

Thanks,

Murray