[KPhotoAlbum] 3.1.0-rc1 released - some problems

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Fri Oct 5 11:56:30 BST 2007

Hello Jan,

> Hmmm, that's an unhandled exception when trying to create an Exif
> field key for lookup in already-read metadata. I guess this is
> because of a key name that your exiv2 library doesn't support. Please
>  try r720262, it will print a debug message to stderr when that
> occurs. What exiv2 version is that, btw?

I had a look for newer versions.
I found:
exiv2-0.15
and
svn checkout svn://dev.robotbattle.com/exiv2/trunk .
This gives "Revision 1263"
What do you mean by "Please try r720262" and how do I get this ?

With 0.15 I now got the file names as titles on import of the new photos
as expected.
Unfortunately I found some random photos from the newly imported, with
wildly wrong timestamps in the DB.I could fix this by rereading the time
and date using  "Maintenance/Reread meta data from file" and choosing
(only) "Update date and time".
This also worked without crash.

I tried to go back to exiv2-0.12 and this crashed on the same reread.
(See attached stack backtrace)
On the terminal I got:
--------------
> /opt/kde3/bin/kphotoalbum
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Exiv2::Error'
KCrash: Application 'kphotoalbum' crashing.
--------------

Maybe this means, the dependencies for KPA should call for a minimum
version of exiv2-lib.

This crash didn't kill the index.xml.
I also tried to suspend the system with KPA running. This also didn't
lead to the DB corruption.

And two minor points:

RC1 isn't visible on the "newer snapshot" page:
http://kphotoalbum.org/download-snapshots.html
(probably, because there are no rpms ?)
Depending on how wide you plan to spread the word, this page should be
updated.

While I played around with RC1, I found one (very) minor hickup:
- Place some tokens on some of the photos
- Go to the "Homepage". You see how many different tokens exist in the DB.
- Choose "Edit/Remove Token"; choose some of the available tokens, click ok
- The count of tokens on the homepage isn't updated. You have to click
"Home" again to get an update.

Martin