[KPhotoAlbum] Very experimental image-grouping patch

Tero Tilus tero at tilus.net
Thu Nov 29 10:12:08 GMT 2007

2007-11-29 09:20, Paul Fleischer:
> Now that I think about it, it would be quite easy to have multiple
> parents as well. Main issue is how to handle it in the
> user-interface.

Very much true.  I do not really have any even medicore ideas on how
to communicate this relationship to ... oh, wait ... I have!  How
about (the already presented idea) that the pics having a relationship
would have some overlaid icon to indicate it.  Clicking the icon would
go to "item neighbourhood" view, where you could see the selected
image and all related 1 (to configurable n steps) further.  Relations
could be presented with arrows and maybe some day give up the grid and
use Kamada-Kawai (like Graphviz NEATO) or like to arrange photos.

Well.  Thinking about it more closely, it is open to debate if that
was even medicore.  :)

> But in practice I think grouping images is much easier to deal with,
> implementation and interaction wise.

Well, you already did the master-derivate relationship.  ;)
User interaction is an issue, though.

> The thing that annoys me with having masters and derivates is that
> you often want a derivate to show up as default [...] This seems
> somewhat counterintuitive to the concept.

At least it's not counterintuitive to me. ;) That's exactly why I
wanted to emphasize that hiding images and handling master-derivate
relationship are separate issues.  You can not judge what to show only
by the master-derivate relation.  You might have master and a
retouched derivate and you might very well want to show one, the
other, both or neither of them.  You might very well want to hide
items (I'll work with this some day and don't wanna show it before
that) even if they do not have any relationships.  That said, it's of
course desirable to have functionality to handle commonly repeatin
hiding patterns with respect to relationships.

--
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://www.tilus.net/koti/tero/