[KPhotoAlbum] Performance problem with viewing images

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Wed Nov 7 03:29:11 GMT 2007

   Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 04:10:46 +0100
   From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Jan_Kundr=E1t?= <jkt at gentoo.org>

   Robert Krawitz wrote:
   > I think the problem is the caching that the viewer does.  It tries to
   > preload a bunch of images, and each of those is put on the queue at
   > high priority -- i. e. ahead of the one you're actually trying to view.=

   Ah, now I understand the issue, thanks. Problem isn't triggered by
   number of thumbnails waiting to be decoded, but by full-sized
   images added to the queue by the viewer itself.

Yup.  It was very annoying last weekend when I was showing about 1500
photos to a (nonpaying) client to select some images.  The way I did
it should be fast (at least it was in tests) even when thumbnails are
pending, since priority requests that are already queued aren't
ignored.

   > Load a few thousand images into the thumbnail viewer and then just
   > double click one of them should do the trick.

   Indeed, thanks. Patch applied (the priority queue should go into 3.1.1).
   Should we have a RC3 now?

Do you have a list of remaining issues?

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton