[KPhotoAlbum] Delete select (images) dialog

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat May 19 20:26:45 BST 2007

   Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 20:29:34 +0300
   From: Tuomas Suutari <thsuut at utu.fi>

   On Saturday 19 May 2007 19:08, Baptiste MATHUS wrote:
   > Hi all,

   > While working on it, I realized that the current delete dialog, even
   > with the patch removing the double checkbox isn't totally logical: =>
   > the checkbox would contain "Don't delete, only block from database".
   > so you could check it and click on... "Delete". I think that's not
   > the most simple way to be understood :-), mainly for new users (I
   > fear new users are going to wonder: "wait a minute, if I click on
   > delete while having checked the upper box, will it anyway delete
   > permanently my image(s)?).
   >
   > So, I thought about using "Proceed" text instead in the button. It
   > seems a bit clearer, but maybe it's not the best way to go. I also
   > lowered the font size from +3 to +2. Imo, it looks a bit better and
   > still an important message.
   >
   > A screenshot of the resulting still uncommitted delete dialog is
   > attached. Please advice. If I got two Yay about the dialog in the
   > attachment, then I will commit it very soon :).

   I would put it other way around, so the dialog would look like this

   | Remove files from the database            |
   | You are about to remove %n files from the |
   | database. Do you really want to do it?    |
   | [ ] Also move the files to trash.         |

Moving files to trash might not work -- your images may be stored on a
very large filesystem, but your home directory might not have much
space.  It might also be extremely slow for the same reason (images on
a different filesystem from home directory).  Also, if someone isn't
running KDE, there may be no concept of a "trash can".

Think about what happens if you want to delete 1000 RAW files at 10 MB
each.  There needs to be a way to outright delete files.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton