[KPhotoAlbum] Proposal for shared ownership of KPA.

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Sat Mar 31 00:29:23 BST 2007

Everyone interested in KPA's future, and especial those with coding skill,
please read on.

It doesn't take a genies to realize that I haven't worked too much on KPA
since 3.0 was released. The reason simply is that I don't have the time
anymore. I'm currently in the process of buying a house, and since September
last year, I've been studying business classes in the evenings twice a week,
with homework enough to take up any sparetime I may have.

So, now would be a good time to move on, and cut out the weakest link, namely
me.

So the question is, how can I possibly get more of you guys active with KPA
development? Well actually, it is not like there are noone active, we have a
pretty big backlog already of patches that was never merged in.

What I suggest is that those of you interested in leanting a hard on this,
would get access to SVN, and you would then simply apply the patches, plus do
whatever development you would like to. To avoid complete chaos, and avoid
the code being cluttered up with features only a single person found usefull,
I suggest that for a patch to be applied at least three persons vote for it.

(Over time as I learn to know you, a single vote from core developers would be
enough. Tuomas, you may consider yourself as the first person with such a
veto vote :-)

What do you all think? Anyone interested in a KDE SVN account?

As no real bad bugs have been found in 3.0, I suggest we merge the development
branch back on trunk so the rest of you dont have to worry about this.
Tuomas, are you the man for this? (See I dont even have time for that - this
email is writting from a passenger seat of a Taxi, 0:30 in the night after
traveling the most of the day :-)

Finally, don't dispear, this is far from the end of KPA, I _WILL_ continue
working on it - heck most of KPA devel was done in summer holidays anyway.
Besides, I seriously hope that more people will stand up to the task, so we
in a few years have lots of developers :-)

Kind Regards
Jesper.

PS: I CC'ed a bunch of people from the mailing list that I've seen make
contributions in the past. I wanted to make sure they didn't miss out on this
email. If you are one of them, then congrats, I remebered your name - that
does unfortunately not happen too often. If you are not one of them, then
that does not mean that you are excluded to contrinute, nor that I do not
recognize any contribution you may have made in the past, nor that I did not
remember your name, only that it is 0:40 now :-)

PPS: I'm going to the KDE conference known by the name akademy, this year. If
you are interested in getting started with KPA development, and would like to
get a good intro to it face to face, then showing up at akademy would be a
great chance.