[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

Heinz Kohl kohl at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Tue Feb 20 16:46:39 GMT 2007

Am Dienstag 20 Februar 2007 14:29 schrieb jedd:
>  I think this was (amongst other things) pretty much what many of
>  us were suggesting you do prior, and during, your recent spate of
>  'KPA Doesn't Work Properly' emails to the list.

Working on two installations of KPA I haven't seen that until now, and now I'm
also not able to set this state beside the demo.

>  we're all missing something that you're not -- but statistics aren't
>  on your side with that type of claim.

I may just have seen a broader utilisation spectrum than you.

>  If you want to write programmes that target the Dumbest Common ..

Why?

Not the best Photoshop developers, plain photographers are making the best use
of this program.
To use a dish washer properly it's not necessary and not sufficient to study
engineering; a lot of the best engineers are working on cars driven even by
illiterates; a surgeon using the most complicated 3D-brain scanner ...

What's wrong about a claim for programs which could be used as easy and
problem oriented as possible?
As I think, easy usability is a quality sign for a program,
and to use a program, which is complicated in learning or using is not showing
an intelligent user, if there are programs which are easier to use.

I'd like you would see in this manner:  it's all but scathing criticism, when
I try to cope with your program.

Like many others I'm using a broad variety of programs and have to use
different operating systems (mainly Linux, XP; a bit Mac).
I can't afford to learn more but a handful big sized programs in a year.
Let's say, to learn KPA should demand less attention than to learn Gimp
including complex correction work.

I think, a product fulfilling a rather simple task (it may be as complicated
inside as a digital camera) should be usable in a simple and safe way.

>  By limiting the language you are limiting the manner in which people
>  can think (because most people think in terms of their language).

I would jump for joy, when KPA would give the possibility to create more
sophistic entries into the index file.

>  Catering to the peanut gallery might be okay if you're the Microsofts

I'm all but a friend of Bill G.
At work I've used administrated XP for years, but have token the opportunity
to use Linux without admin.
Today linux is - some hardware compatibility problems aside - more easy to
maintain than Windoo..

>  This sounds to me more like a problem with the accuracy of your
>  data (and/or the expectation of accuracy of subsequent users of
>  your data) than of the application (KPA).

This archiv is containing historical photos.
I'm needing DV aid (and the help of some relatives far away) exactly to come
to a good solution.

I don't hope to hear "your problem is to complicated to solve with a PC - you
may still use a desktop, if it's a writing table".

>  If you are confident the time was between 36-41 .. then the fault
>  lies with the second user, who is looking in the wrong place - and

I don't see a question, who is wrong, but the question, which DV aid can be
given.

>  I think those of us who have accurate time-stamps would be very
>  annoyed if KPA kept on making our carefully-entered date information
>  fuzzier and fuzzier in order to fit more and more searches.

Why should you do that?
Not at all I'd expect that!
I'm preferring modern assembly lines, which are able to work on individual
solutions (Daimler is producing nearly no two equal Mercedes in a year).
I definitely think, KPA has the potential to make such a modern job and
doesn't want to see it.

>  Okay .. if you think using the keyboard is prehistoric, then you should
>  probably not be using KDE or even GNU/Linux.  Indeed, you should
>  probably stick with MS Media Center or maybe an XBox.

Do you have a working replacement for the keyboard?
It will be a mega seller!!

One of my former bosses, dean in computer science, was more as miserable about
an unbearable loss - the end of the eighy-column card.

>  I don't think that 'cd' is stupid -- but people that do are probably
>  just ignorant, ill-adept, or inexperienced.  These aren't the same
>  thing as being stupid.

Today nearly no one outside of computer science is having any need to use
command language.
It's the same as for stenography - in former times every clerk had to be fit
in stenography, and today it is also a valuable art - but only for highly
qualified stenographers in the parliament.

KPA will be rather rarely used in batch command procedures.
But it could be even more favorable used in that manner, if it would follow
the famous pipe principle ;-)

>  If you find man pages crazy or unstructured .. then .. you probably
>  should stick with other operating systems that don't provide any

I was seeing the natural growing of man page articles in the Seventies,
where features written later was having the trend to be written to the start.
They were be seen as an historic artefact in the late Eighties, but there was
a lack of energy to make a concise replacement.

H. Kohl