[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

Heinz Kohl kohl at informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Feb 7 16:06:51 GMT 2007

Am Mittwoch 07 Februar 2007 13:58 schrieben Sie:

> "Sorting" and "grouping" are two different things, even if they both ..

As I said, beside adopting the nonstandard KPhotoalbum usage of the word
"sorting" I didn't say here anything about sorting or grouping here.
To make good decisions in that field will play be in fact a crucial role in
the further a product - but that's not my theme.

Sorry, not I am generating confusion:
> As Jesper pointed out, you can turn off the chronological sorting ..
Think about a differentiation between "(preordered, primary) key", "sorting
picture representatives", "sorting of pictures", "sorting of selected
presentation" and so on.
It's not a good technique to assist a own software concept using confusion
when using a word in different meanings and saying, the opponent is using the
wrong word.

> Sort, or group?  It makes sense to group photographs ...

It makes also much sense to sort them - but I haven't addressed sorting and
haven't addressed grouping - I've addressed, that the main goal of software
is to give methods flexible enough for the users needs, here e.g. giving the
possibility to install an adequate primary key.
To give a sufficient selection band for keys is the job of the programming.
To set this key is in the plight of the user.

> .. on their taxonomy (and thanks to hierarchical groupings, the groupings
> could match the biological taxonomy), but it doesn't make a lot of ...

It is definitely the job of an album maker to give instruments for making
adequate keys, for enabling good grouping, and for setting up tools for
sorting - it is definitely the worsts thinkable interpretations of the job of
a software maker to restrict the users to methods he is accepting as
adequate.

It may be heroic to say
"Not mind, what you will have - I'm following a time key. If you're having
none, if you have another key following your problem - take another software"
- but I've never seen successful software following such principles.

>    Is there any necessity to pack aunt Nelly between page 135 and 136
>    of a bible's page collection because of the image date?  ..
> No, but it makes perfect sense to group all of the Aunt Nelly shots
> together, and KPhotoAlbum supports that quite well -- select all of
> the Aunt Nelly photographs.

.. and in the same way to select unexpected bible photographs, e.g.  'aunt
Nelly reading the bible' between page 135 and page 136 of a bible art
demonstration.
You're missing the point - aunt Nelly has nothing to do with a bible archiv,
even not by accident. The main error is to use only one archive for very
different data.

And KPhotoalbum is saying "Not mind, what you will have - I'm following a time
key. If you're having none, if you have another key following your problem -
take another software.

A key ordering of one kind is necessary.
There's no real time ordering in my case, only a very, very loose.
It is necessary to set one, and a bad idea to set an artificial in abusing the
time scala.

It's not the problem for a software founder to say how anybody should order
his data - that's totally impossible for him.
His task is at the same moment much easier and much more ambitious: not more
and not less than to give a software tool which could be calibrated to the
users needs.
For a software developer to see, that there are problems which could be
managed using a time based key is nice - but to give only a time based key is
like making jets with jet engines, bikes with jet engine, cars with jet
engines and, as an alternative, trucks with manual actuation.

> arrange the images however you please by dragging them around.  I
> suspect, though, if you actually try to do this you'll find it more
> difficult to come up with an ordering than you would expect at first

It is not the job of KPhotoimage to order my pictures - that's impossible.
But job of such a program ist to help me ordering the pictures.
KPhotoimage is doing less than to expect for such a program.