[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

Tero Tilus tero.tilus at jyu.fi
Wed Feb 7 14:09:19 GMT 2007

2007-02-07 11:05, Heinz Kohl:
> the wish to find unique time stamps to make up a primary time key.

KPA does not use time stamp as primary key.  You really can not expect
it to be unique.

> To have no (unique) primary key is resulting in "will only work
> suboptimal" - and that's the case not only when "navigating using
> the date bar".

KPA has unique primary key, a hash calculated from image date, which
is used as image identity.

> Most collections are having own inherent primary keys - to sort
> plants with main respect to photo date instead of Linne's ordering
> system would be as crazy as sorting family pictures in respect to an
> ordering scheme for animals.

You _can_ build Carl von Linné's (Carolus Linnaeus) taxonomy (Linnaean
taxonomy) using KPA and "sort" (in KPA terminology it's called
categorization) images using it.

To pick some nits...  Linnaean taxonomy classifies all living into a
_hierarchy_.  Hierarchy is _not_ a sort order, although it is trivial
to derive partial order relation (and thus partial sort order) of
items from the hierarchy they are organized to.

> Is there really any necessity to manage the picture of your
> ancestors in tight connection e.g. with an historical car archive,
> or to get the connection between the old testating aunt and
> e.g. vultures or old furniture?

No, and KPA does not force you to do that.  Build your taxonomy,

> I think, a program like KPhotoalbum is by far too complicated to be
> restricted to such a small spectrum

I think you haven't really looked into KPA.  :)

The default taxonomy in KPA is well-suited for family photography, but
KPA is by no means restricted to that.  You can build any taxonomy you
want.

As far as I can see you seem to want KPA to derive some metadata from
file names of your images.  Is that the case?

--
Tero Tilus ## 050 3635 235 ## http://www.tilus.net/koti/tero/