[KPhotoAlbum] order criteria for a family photo collection

Jeroen Eeuwes jeroeneeuwes at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 18:12:35 GMT 2007

Hi Heinz,

> A very bad restriction is the max length of 60 chars for usual DVD file name
> storaging.

Joliet limits filenames to 64 chars. If you use Rock Ridge you should
be able to use to 255 (I think) chars.

Perhaps you can explain more what you are trying to do. At first I
thought you wanted sorting on your "scan number" (like te people who
replied earlier thought too) but that seems not what you want.

I'm not really sure what you want. As pointed out before, the sorting
in KPA is not very evolved. This is mainly because you can select the
pictures you want to see on the categories you added to your photo's.

I'm repeating myself, but what are you trying to accomplish.

> Because of that its necessary to crimple down the information to file names
> like Kreilenborg29.3.1955OmiTLeniOHeinrichRobertBernd-1354.gif
> It would be strange to see another file mainly devoted to Kreilenborg, but
> scanned as number 2137, far away in directory order.

If your main criteria is place than you should put that in front. Most
OS'es default on sorting by filename and so all pictures form the same
place would be grouped together.

However this won't help if you want to see all the pictures of
Heinrich grouped together. I'm very curious how your OS is able to do
that.

On the other hand, if you added the right Categories you can easily
select all the pictures of Heinrich in KPA.

[good interfaces]
> just like a car driver, who's never busy in seeking the actual place
> of brake or steering wheel - he's just looking to the ongoing
> landscape photo show.

That has nothing to do with the way the pedals are located. The
ordering of the pedals is not very relevant, only that it is the same
in every car. There is also no reason why a motor-like interface
couldn't be used in a car too. But because everybody has learned how
to operate it. The same goes for your CAD program. If you haven't
learned how to operate the program it's impossible to use.

I'm not advocating for using a difficult interface, but I think KPA is
rather easy when you know how everything works. What can be more
easier than clicking on the categories you want to see?

Best regards,
Jeroen