[KPhotoAlbum] Second iteration of experimental image grouping patch

Harald hhaak at gmx.de
Sat Dec 1 00:20:26 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm impressed of the speed and the ideas that result from a little wish on the
bug tracker. Thanks for all this great work.

In the first place I had something in mind like all images in a group behave
like one image and share their tags. Only one label for each image to
distinguish between them.
After reading all the mails and thinking about it, it seems to me that this is
not the KPA way to implement it.

But with the nice tags copy button it is not that important that a group
shares its tags :-) .

On Thursday 29 November 2007 09:36:41 Paul Fleischer wrote:
> - When browsing children, the parent image is no longer shown

I'm not sure which way's the better one. I guess this depends on the
situation. If you have real hierarchical structures (stitched image and the
original images) it seems the logical way to hide the parent. On the other
hand, with an image series it would be better to include the parent so you
can more easily choose if this is the right parent in the group.

I've just found a little bug:
Drop one image on another, then drop the new parent on a third image.
Show the children of the third image, then the children of the child.
Now choose use as parent and you end up with two parents. One of them is
empty.

> Keep in mind that everything, including all of the above changes, are
> purely experimental. I'm trying to figure out how to do things the
> best way, so let me know what you think.

Rest works just too good for purely experimental.
I'm just getting a little impatient for this to get stable :-D

But to slow things a little down, here's another idea for the hole grouping
thing:

Instead of a hidden flag (as Tero Tilus wrote) I'd prefer a search expression
in the settings where you can tell which images should not be shown.

Combine this with a new special category with an unique id for every image and
the possibility to set this id to the same value for a bunch of images (ok,
not so unique anymore). And a button in the tool bar to temporarily switch
off the hidden search expression. You get a grouping feature without
hierarchy, hidden images and an easy way to show all images in the group.

Then it's left to the appropriate tags to get a hierarchy.

ciao
Harald