[KPhotoAlbum] KPA across network

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Mon Apr 30 20:30:50 BST 2007

Hi,

On 4/30/07, Neil Paisnel <neil at paisnel.co.uk> wrote:
> I asked a day or so back about KPA being used across a network, to where my
> photos are stored on a networked Win XP machine.
> I can see, and read/write to the folder from the kubuntu machine in samba
> shares.
> I believe it was Tuomas who said that I first need to create a local folder,
> and then mount the samba shares to that folder.
> I tried as suggested, plus a host of other ways, but end up with the error
> as below.
> Can anyone tell me where I may be going wrong.
>
> neil at Feisty:~$ sudo mkdir /home/Photos
> Password:
> neil at Feisty:~$ sudo mount -t smbfs //su/My\ Documents/My\ Pictures
> /home/Photos
>
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on //su/My Documents/My
> Pictures,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail  or so
> neil at Feisty:~$
>

> And here is the syslog entry
>
> Apr 29 20:59:01 Feisty kernel: [ 2741.864829] smb_fill_super: missing data
> argument.

I've never mounted a windows machine via smb but from the error
message it sounds that there is additional data neededl to do so; I
assume something like username/password to connect to the other
machine ? Looking at the manpage of smbmount or mount.smbfs might help
further.

This is the first manpage I found with google, you might want to look
on your local system:
  http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/smbmount.8.html

cheers,
  -henner