[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Thu Apr 26 00:22:40 BST 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 04:41:08 pm Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Yup, I forgot to mention that I don't see much point in allowing those
> queries (that can potentially consume plenty of time) in a web interface
> that is exposed to malicious users.

That makes sense.

> KPhotoAlbum allows you to create categories that differ only in case.
> When this changes, I'll make my code match new behavior, but for now I
> use it as an excuse for making code simpler :).

:-)

On the other hand, no one is actually going to do that, except by accident.
And if they do, they deserve what they get.

> OTOH, if you want to preserve the current way of going "one level up"
> while retaining all that flexibility, you'd have to introduce something
> like a level separator -- if you're at "People:Shawn & width > 100 /
> People:jkt | People:Fred", going up would mean "People:Shawn & width >
> 100".

I'm not following you here.

> That's why I use both operators. "=" means "is equal to" while ":" means
> "contains". 'cat:item & cat:foo' would match anything that has at least
> that value while 'cat=item,foo' would match stuff with nothing else.

Okay, that wasn't clear, but it makes sense.  One qualification:  I think the
meaning of ':' for category names should mean "starts with" rather
than "contains".  That loses a little flexibility, but opens up a world of
opportunities for optimization which is really important if
incremental, "as-you-type" searching is allowed.

	Shawn.