[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Wed Apr 25 23:18:46 BST 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 03:05:37 pm Jan Kundrát wrote:
> People:Jane & (People:"Paul Verlaine" | People:Bob) &
> Exif_Image_Make=Panasonic AND Exif_Photo_ISOSpeedRatings >= 250

This looks eerily like what I was considering, with the following differences:

1.  As I mentioned when I started this thread, values without any sort of
field specifier are allowed and search all metadata (with the possible
exception of EXIF data).
2.  There's no need to specify '&', it's implicit.  Where it's made explicit,
I was thinking to use 'and' and 'or', rather than symbols.  I suppose both
could be allowed.
3.  I would eliminate case sensitivity.  I think the value of case-sensitive
matching is small in this case, and the value in avoiding confusion for
non-geeks who don't think that 'A' is any different from 'a' is significant.
Actually, I think it would be good to make matching a little fuzzy to allow
for misspellings, but that's clearly beyond the present scope.
4.  To allow for incremental searches and searches where the user isn't sure
of the spelling, category searches would match partial tags.  So "people:ja"
would match images tagged with your name.  Perhaps quoting could override
that, so 'people:"ja"' wouldn't match "Jan".  That would overload the meaning
of quotes and make partial match searches on strings containing
non-alphanumeric characters impossible, but I think that's okay.

I agree that if we decide to go this route for the search bar (which is far
from certain, even in my mind), it would be good to harmonize the syntax.
However, I also feel pretty strongly that my decisions above are more
friendly to non-geeks.

One other thing:  I think it really would be good to come up with a syntax for
expressing "People:{this exact set}".  Maybe that's not a bad syntax,
actually....

	People:{"Paul Verlaine", Bob}

One think I'm not so sure about is the use of ':' and '='.  Maybe it's better
to always use '='?

	Shawn.