[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Wed Apr 25 13:35:27 BST 2007

On Wednesday 25 April 2007 05:17:47 am Angel Lopez wrote:
> I think it could be great (and probably, not too difficult to
> implement) that the thumbnail window (or even, always) have something
> saying the current filter that KPA is applying to the database.

I've been thinking that, too.  I was thinking a breadcrumb trail, like you see
on many web sites.

> While I was typing this, ... I think that the Search bar could be used
> for that, in such a way that Persons (in Jesper's example) is added
> even if you selected it in another way.

Hmm.  That's a very interesting idea.  That would address in a very nice way
another issue I've been struggling with:  How to cleanly compose the filter
specified with the search bar with the filter specified by drilling down
through categories or with the date bar.

It would require a search bar syntax that allows precise specification (e.g.
Persons:"Jesper K Pedersen") as well as "loose" specification (e.g. Jesper,
which would search all metadata), but it would address the issue of
composition by effectively making the search bar the single search mechanism,
with searches being specified by some combination of typing and clicking (or
pure clicking or pure typing).

That's a bit more radical, but it might make a lot of sense.

Comments?

	Shawn.