[KPhotoAlbum] Idea for quick search feature

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Mon Apr 23 15:17:47 BST 2007

Shawn Willden wrote:
> Perhaps at some point we might want to allow boolean specifiers,
> grouping, etc. of search words, but for now I think I'd just interpret
> mutliple words as an implicit AND. So "adam june 2006" would find images
> that:
>
>     * Contain "adam" in some tag, description, label, folder or
>       filename; AND
>     * Contain "june" in some tag, description, label, folder, filename
>       or date; AND
>     * Contain "2006" in some tag, description, label, folder, filename
>       or date.

That would be horribly confusing, IMHO. What would you do if you have
space in some tag value? For example I know a lot of people whose given
name is Pavel, so I tag images with stuff like "pavel", "pavel m",
"pavel h" etc.

> I think that should be fairly intuitive to users who can read it as
> "find pictures of adam in june 2006". The very broad nature of the
> search might mean that they get a few images in the results that
> surprise them, but I think that's okay.

<advert>
If you're interested in a prototype of a CLI tool for querying your
database, have a look at [1].
</advert>

[1] http://svn.flaska.net/viewcvs/pphotoalbum/trunk/

Cheers,