[KPhotoAlbum] raw photos once again..

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 1 13:35:20 BST 2006

   From: Ashley J Gittins <agittins at purple.dropbear.id.au>
   Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 22:21:46 +1000

   On Friday 01 September 2006 20:51, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
   > There's an option in the General settings to ignore RAW files if a
   > TIFF or JPEG also exists.

   That's no good for me - I have import scripts that process preview
   files (I extract the jpeg and overlay an RGB histogram on it as a
   preview image), and that image has "-sml.jpg" as a suffix. So I
   prefer that KPA ignore completely any raw files.

   Currently I am simply commenting out the "raf" line in
   src/rawimagedecoder.cpp (around line 73 in the version I've got)
   and using that.

I was doing that for quite a while before I submitted the patch to
ignore RAW files.

   What I would _LOVE_ to see is a regexp option, as Batmat suggested,
   that can be applied to the full path of filenames.

   Eg, I would like to be able to exclude filetypes _and_ possibly
   paths from indexing, that would be very cool. I dunno if it would
   cause a large performance hit though.

I think it would be useful, at a minimum, to:

1) Allow ignoring RAW files (in their various guises) altogether.

2) Allow ignoring certain directories (or directories with a
   particular name or names) altogether.

It would be more desirable to (also) allow include or exclude lists
matching regexps or shell expressions.  I doubt it would have a major
performance impact in most cases; it's only going to look at files
that aren't already indexed, and performance would only be an issue if
you were to import a really large number of files.  Even in that case
the import time would be dominated by the time required to generate
the MD5 hash of the image.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton