[KPhotoAlbum] IPTC and EXIF, kphotoalbum, digikam

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Tue Oct 31 15:38:57 GMT 2006

On Tue, Oct 31, 2006 at 03:02:42PM +0100, Eivind Kjorstad wrote:

> 5) We need a database anyway, so storing elsewhere is double work, and
> leads to questions of the sort, what to do if the two are out of synch
> etc. (this ain't a fundamental reason, only a practical concern)

That one is a strong one to me :

Kphotoalbum, through a Google summer of code project as I understand,
is the only free project that thinks about storing data in a
....database !

As a matter of fact, I'm also concerned with simple "databases" (flat
text, db, ...etc...) about the scalability when you come to store a
lot of pictures.

My guess, as well (but I'm really not sure this is correct) is that
IPTC are quite rudimentary (for historical reasons) are might not be
the best container for "sophisticated" tags (like some detailed desc,
...).

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau