[KPhotoAlbum] IPTC and EXIF, kphotoalbum, digikam

Eivind Kjorstad ekj at zet.no
Tue Oct 31 11:27:25 GMT 2006

Thomas Hummel wrote:
>   . EXIF tags are for technical picture info (focal, exposure, ...)
>   . IPTC tags are more adequate to store comments or personnal info

Rigth.

>   . kphotoalbum uses EXIF tags for reading but does not use IPTC at
>     all and does not write EXIF tags

Rigth. I'm certain Jesper would welcome the ability to read IPTC-tags
too. I'm not aware of any reason we would want to *NOT* do that.

>   . this is a choice (in order not to touch the original file, to be
>     able to store tags relative to read-only media), so won't be implemented

Not in Kphotoalbum, no. Jesper has stated publicly that he is against
it, and there's good reasons to keep with the policy.

But there's no policy against plugins that make image-changes, assuming
they display adequate warnings beforehand.

There already was (is?) a plugin that uses the rotation-info to
physically rotate the jpeg, and thereafter reset the rotation-info. (so
that the image will display rigth-side-up in applications *other* than
kphotoalbum)

I don't see any fundamental problems with a "write EXIF/IPTC tags to
image-file" plugin. Other than the fact somebody(tm) would have to write
it. :-)

	Eivind Kjørstad