[KPhotoAlbum] EXIF data "Focal length"

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Wed Nov 1 18:34:01 GMT 2006

Hello,

I would like to suggest one addition/change to KPA. Adding the effective
focal length for 35 mm to the EXIF data shown an especially to the EXIF
search.

Right now, KPA shows in the EXIF dialogue in the field "Focal length"
the physical value. (see KPA_EXIF.png) The same value is also used when
doing searches for focal length. (I tested comparing the shown values
from konqueror (see below) and KPA)

In contrast konqueror shows both the "absolute value" ("Brennweite") and
the value calculated for 35 mm standard ("35 mm Standard"). (see
KonquerrorEXIF.png)

I would like to see "35 mm Standard" added for EXIF data and especially
for EXIF searches in KPA.

Reason:
(Sorry, if this sounds awfully trivial...)
The focal length given on the lenses is the physical value.
The "visible" focal length of the lens depends on the size of the film
or sensor. So a focal length of 50 mm is normal view on a 35 mm film (or
"full size" digital camera). The same lens on my Canon 350 D would act
like a 80 mm on 35 mm film, because the sensor is smaller than a 35 mm
film. On even smaller cameras, the sensor is typically much smaller, so
you get yet another effective focal length.

So if you have pictures taken by different cameras in KPA, searching for
the same range of focal length might yield pictures with vastly
different effective focal lengths.

Adding "35 mm Standard" for focal length, would give values based on the
same sensor size, thus yielding consistent searches.

Martin