[KPhotoAlbum] New snapshot + feauture freeze + message freeze

Martin Hoeller martin at xss.co.at
Mon Mar 27 16:43:16 BST 2006

On 26 Mar 2006, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:

> On Monday 20 March 2006 12:51, Martin Hoeller wrote:
> | On 19 Mär 2006, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> | > KPhotoAlbum has now entered complete freeze (modulo bug fixes), so please
> | > download a snapshot, this might very well be your final chance to find
> | > bugs before they will annoy you for the better part of the rest of the
> | > year.
> |
> | Here we go...
> |
> | > 	* BUGFIX: The annotation window no longer crashes when reseting
> | > 	its layout.
> |
> | Sorry, it does :-(
> |
> | Here is a backtrace (unfortunately without debugging enabled, but
> | reproduceable):
> OK, I reworked that code, it was utterly broken, and a proof that I've become
> a better software developer since I wrote it 3 years ago :-)

Ok, works fine now for me.

> | The second bug that still exists is the one that makes the annotation
> | dialog of KPhotoAlbum empty if special characters (like Umlaute (äöü), or
> | french accentuated characters (à)) are in a category name and a dock panel
> | for this category is activated. (see also
> | http://mail.kdab.net/mailman/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2006-March/001792.html )
> | Note, that this bug appears only after saving the layout and restarting
> | KPhotoAlbum!
> That just plain sucks. Unfortunately that code is in KDE itself, so I see no
> other alternatives that to use yet another XML file for this. You will now
> find a file called layout.xml storing this layout.

First tests work fine for me.

Did you file a bug report to kdelibs or wherever it belongs to? Should be
done.

> | Another one: sometimes when hitting cancel in the annotation dialog it
> | asks me "Changes made to image info, really cancel?" even if I did not
> | change anything! I found out, that this seems somehow related to the
> | time-information used in combination with time-ranges. The img013 shipped
> | with the demo database triggers this bug.
> |
> | The interesting part of a diff when changing nothing, hitting Ok in the
> | image configuration editor and saving is the following:
> |
> | -  <image startDate="2003-01-02T00:00:00" endDate="2003-01-02T23:59:59"
> | +  <image startDate="2003-01-02T00:00:00" endDate="2003-01-02T00:00:00"
> fixed.

ACK.

> | Another bug that still hasn't been fixed is that the image preview is
> | sometimes (absolutely not reproducable but definitely there, even with the
> | demo database!) empty. I already sent a screenshot for Jesper available at
> | http://stud3.tuwien.ac.at/~e9926483/tmp/kphotoalbum-shot.png .
> Unfortunately valgrind doesn't show anything (at least nothing I can make any
> sense of)
> Let me know if you find anything that can help us down the road with this one.

Your last changes seem to "improve" the behavior as it doesn't happen as
often as it did before. However I've still no idea where it comes from.
Don't have too much time at the moment but if it becomes annoying I'll
definitely go and fix it some day ;-)

> | And last an easy one: a broken tooltip in Settings -> Configure
> | KPhotoAlbum -> Thumbnail View -> What's this for Preview Image Size.
> | This says "If you select Help| Show Tooltips ..." but should be "If you
> | select Settings| Show Tooltips ...".
> Fixed, thanks.

ACK.

> Thanks for the report.