[KPhotoAlbum] Importing and Exporting tags

Mark Eichin eichin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 04:14:51 BST 2006

I'm also in the "don't alter your negatives" camp.  (I'm also a
software engineer, so I'm perhaps more sensitive than most to the fact
that software has bugs.) Likewise, "If it isn't there, it can't break"
(George Mochet about car design) - a workflow that doesn't involve
writing to originals *can't* corrupt them, something you simply can't
say about one that does no matter how "well known" the algorithm is --
see http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2003/03/22/Binary on binary
search in java, for example -- and no matter how carefully you review
the code (and we're talking photo editing code, not life support
systems - noone's *going* to review them that closely.)

I would not be surprised to learn that the professionals you (Molteni)
cite only add those tags to copies of the images that get passed
further along; after all, storage is cheap in that space.  Perhaps a
compromise here is an export step, that takes (a tagged subset of) KPA
images with XML and produces standalone images with IPTC; that's even
easy to prototype *without* having to convince anybody of anything
(because you can do a decent job with the raw XML, the thok.org
kimdaba_album code, and http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/IPTCInfo/ if
you're not up to writing a kipi plugin...)

_Mark_ <eichin at thok.org> <eichin at gmail.com>