[KPhotoAlbum] Image orientation

Rui Malheiro rmalheiro at 6mil.pt
Wed Jun 7 15:50:47 BST 2006

I have a few issues with image rotation in KPA. I just exported some
images to CD (using the KIPI plugin) and I noticed that some images had
wrong orientation. When I checked in KPA, I found out I had 3 different
situations:

1. Thumbnail is portrait, but image is landscape in KPA and elswhere.
2. Thumbnail and image are portrait in KPA, but image is landscape
elsewhere
3. Thumbnail and image are portrait in KPA and exif-aware apps, but
landscape in non-exif aware apps

The first situation is, of course, due to an out-of-sync thumbnail. I
noticed that if I rotate an image using KIPI tools the thumbnail isn't
updated. This leads to rotating the same image more than once. It would
be nice if thumbnails were refreshed right after rotating (only for
images that were rotated, of course).

The second situation is due to KPA using and "angle" attribute. I
understand the usefulness of this, as it allows us to set image
orientation without changing the file (a must for read-only images). But
this also leads to problems when the image is changed outside KPA. Last
week I did some tests with Digikam and Picasa for Linux, including
rotating some images. Then my wife selected a few images to burn on a CD
and rotated all images that had "wrong" orientaton in KPA... I think the
best solution here would be to set a flag (token?) on all images that
were added or changed outside KPA. This way we could easily identify
new/changed images. Also an option to "reset orientation" on selected
images would be nice. Or an option to detect images with angle="90" or
angle="270" but with portrait dimensions.

In the third situation all is working as designed. Here I like to rotate
all images to exif orientation and then reset the exif orientation,
which the KIPI plugin does quite nicely.

--
Rui Malheiro
6mil - Tecnologias de Informação, Lda.